With thanks to Florida Sport Fishing Magazine
Enjoy a savory seafood stew with clams, crab, and shrimp that makes for a hearty
meal. Serve with a loaf of warm, crusty garlic bread for sopping up the
1/4 cup olive oil.
2. 1 large onion (chopped).
3. 2 cloves garlic (chopped).
4. 4 tsp dried oregano.
5. 1 1/2 tsp fennel seeds.
6. 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes (with purée).
7. 1 bay leaf.
8. 2 bottles clam juice.
9. 1 cup low sodium chicken broth.
10. 1 cup dry white wine.
11. 13 oz. chopped clams (drained, liquid reserved).
12. 1 lb. large shrimp (uncooked, peeled, deveined).
13. 1 lb. crabmeat (drained).
14. 1/2 cup fresh basil (chopped).
15. Salt & red pepper to taste (cayenne works too).
1. Preheat Dutch oven or large saucepot
over medium heat. Add olive oil. Add onion, garlic, oregano, fennel seeds and
sauté until onion is tender. About 5 minutes will do.
2. Add tomatoes, bay leaf, clam juice, chicken broth and white wine. Increase
heat to boil until slightly thickened, approximately 15 minutes.
3. Add clams and crabmeat. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Add shrimp,
fresh basil and simmer until shrimp are opaque in center. About 4 additional
minutes. Season to taste with salt and red pepper. Serve with warm, crusty
To compliment this try a nice dry table white wine available at all
large stores like Publix etc.